Overcoming obstacles during COVID19

Dr Breanne Kunstler (BBiomedSci, BHealthSci, MPhysio, PhD). 
Physiotherapist, behaviour change scientist and run coach. 


Isolation throws many ordinary things at us, like boredom, loneliness and the potential for poor fitness and general health.

Let's try and overcome our isolation obstacles with a homemade obstacle course!

I created two obstacle courses at home using stuff I have lying around. Yes, there's some exercise equipment, but you don't need it.

Check out my videos below. 

Are you new to exercise? Check that you're safe to exercise by completing this online quiz first. Talk to your preferred health care professional (e.g. GP or physio) if you have any concerns about your safety to exercise before undergoing a new activity. Make sure you warm up and cool down appropriately before exercising (e.g. gentle walking around the block)

Cardio Obstacle Course

This short circuit starts and ends with a gentle cardio exercise, like stepping up and down, and can be repeated as many times as you like (I did it three times). The activities in the middle are a little harder and help to elevate the heart rate.

You can add lots of things like skipping, star jumps, burpees (eww, I hate them!) and other fun things if you like!

Strength Obstacle Course

This obstacle course uses various equipment that I found all over the place. I have no idea why I have a hula hoop?? Anyway, it came in handy (I could have just drawn lines on the ground though).
All single leg activities can be done using both legs if you want.

All hand weights and plates can be replaced with phone books, slabs of beer (for the strong ones out there) or 2L milk bottles filled with water (for 2kg weights).

I have given a general guide to how many reps you can do for each exercise. Do more or less reps as you see fit. How hard do you want to work? Let that guide you.


I did the cardio and strength courses three times to make taking the time to set it up worth it. 

I hope you are all doing well and protecting your wellbeing during this difficult time.
Keep well, fellow humans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Screen time and sedentary behaviour in the early years (Part 1): An introduction

The role of physiotherapy for people with eating disorders

Isolating ourselves during the COVID-19 pandemic is shit. Are there any positives we can focus on?