10 tips on how to do a virtual run AND enjoy it!

Dr Breanne Kunstler (BBiomedSci, BHealthSci, MPhysio, PhD). 

Physiotherapist, behaviour change scientist and run coach.

Running and walking solo means silly finish-line selfies are a must!

Finally we have been given some freedom when it comes to running events. What?!? I hear you say. I know, it's ironic really with all the COVID19 restrictions and all. But what I mean is that we finally have the freedom to participate in running events at a time and place that we choose. No more getting up at 4am to get into the city in time to start my marathon on a rainy, miserable Melbourne Marathon day.

I hear mothers and shift workers everywhere yell "Halleluiah! I can compete in my run and be back in time for when the kids wake up/my shift starts!" Personally, I have noticed that suddenly I'm not overcome with the guilt associated with taking half a day out from mum duties to prepare, attend and participate in a fun run (although the atmosphere, and lack of snotty noses, is pretty awesome!).

For those considering embracing the virtual run life, here are some tips to make the most of it.

My top 10 tips for getting the most out of virtual fun runs

1. Be organised: Read the emails the organisers send you so you know how to record your run and follow any rules they have in place. For example, the Sydney City2Surf Virtual organisers said they'd disqualify people who ran the actual course or didn't use their app. Some organisers create their own app, or engage a race-timing provider, for you to use to record your run. This allows them to maintain some consistency between runners. So make sure you download the app (and turn notifications off because they're REALLY annoying during your run) and know how to use it before your run. However, make sure you also record your run using your regular program (e.g. Strava) so you have a backup.

2. Warm up first: I'm not even talking about warming up for the benefits of injury prevention, although that's super important. Timing apps will start when you press start and finish when you hit the distance. So, make sure you're at race pace before you press start! 

3. Record your whole run for those runs where you can use your own timing device: I press start on my Garmin as soon as I leave the house if I'm running a 10km and recording it using my own device. This means I count my warm up. I continue timing my run until I am done running. This means that I might end up running 17km and if I've been smashing negative splits (running faster and faster each kilometer) then I'll be able count only the last 10km as my race, discarding slower kilometers. I can do this by trimming my activity once I'm done (Garmin Connect and Strava have this feature).

4. Plan your run: Choose a route without traffic lights. Event apps won't allow you to pause your run and you won't want to either as you'll probably be running at a cracking pace! Make sure there are drink taps on your route or you carry your own bottle. Make sure you carry snacks if you need to fuel mid-run, wear your comfy gear and that all battery-operated devices are fully charged (e.g. phone, watch and headphones).

5. Sign up for all distances: Each virtual event often has several distance options. Many events don't just run on one day but give you several days, even weeks, to complete your run. For events like these you can sign up to compete in all of their distances, making the most of the event by participating several times! This also allows you to enjoy some competitions as part of your training (e.g. a 10km race can be part of your training for the 21.1km a few weeks later).

6. Sign up for many events, even if they are on at the same time: For example, if I have two virtual events that both run over a few weeks then I'll run two half marathons in that time and submit my best time to both events. Sneaky? Maybe.

7. Submit your time as soon as you get home: Do this while you're eating your post-race treats of course! Doing this makes sure you don't forget to submit your time. Also, for those events that run over a few weeks, you might see that you came within 5 seconds of the person ahead of you, which might motivate you to recover well and go again the next weekend!

8. Schedule each run in your calendar: This allows you to see exactly when each competition is so you can schedule your training and recovery in between. It also allows you to get excited for big event weekends coming up! 

9. Follow the event organisers on social media: This puts the 'social' part into the virtual events. It's not just a great way to keep up-to-date with race news, training tips and updates, but it also allows you to participate in any competitions they might have. I have won lots of cool stuff (I have a $50 Rebel sport voucher sitting right next to me from the Beachside Dash crew!) and have met heaps of fellow virtual runners on Facebook, Instagram and Strava.

10. Treat it like a race! Some events have prizes for those who come in the top 3 (as well as prizes for best mid-run photography etc.). A lot of the elite athletes who would usually do the live events aren't participating in the virtual runs. This meant that I was able to win an event, scoring a $200 Brooks voucher. Nice!

I hope my tips are helpful. Remember though, the point of these events is to bring people together and put a smile on the dial of runners and walkers who are missing live events. So, the most important tip I can give is to have fun!


Make sure your event sends medals in the mail so you can show off!

Want more great tips? 

Check out 'What to consider when training for a virtual race', '7 signs you're running too much in lockdown, and are heading for an injury' and 'If virtual racing is our future, it's time to reinvent the rules'.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Screen time and sedentary behaviour in the early years (Part 1): An introduction

The role of physiotherapy for people with eating disorders

Isolating ourselves during the COVID-19 pandemic is shit. Are there any positives we can focus on?